Next time just kick me, it'll be quicker

Friday, August 29, 2008

Last night, I experienced every working mother’s favorite situation (please note the sarcasm). Jacob was reading to me, and then I read to him, and we had a nice little chat before I turned out his lights for bed. Then our conversation turned to this:

Jacob: “I don’t want to go to school tomorrow.”

Me: “I know, I don’t want to go to work tomorrow, but it’s just one more day and then we have a 3 day weekend.”

Jacob: “I want you to pick me up from school tomorrow and on every minimum day.”

Me: “I know sweetie, but I can’t pick you up from school because I have to work. I will try to get the time off so I can pick you up on your minimum day, but I can’t promise it because I’ve taken too much time off already.”

Jacob: “Everyone else gets picked up by their moms (which of course is untrue, but try telling that to a sad, tired 6 year old). It’s not fair!”

Me, while giving him a hug: “I know it’s not fair honey. I want to pick you up and it’s not fair that I can’t, but I have to work because our family needs me to.”

Then he started crying. Just stick the knife in a little further… now a little to the left… THERE you go, right in the heart. Now my day as a working mom is complete.

Posted by Michelle at 12:25  
3 comments
Anonymous said...

Awww :( Sweet boy. I'm sorry.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM PDT  
Linda said...

He may not see it now, but he will...I promise...

Love you sweetheart.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 6:26:00 PM PDT  
Robyn said...

Ouch! I'm sorry Michelle :(
(((HUGS)))

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 10:39:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment