Let's explore this phenomenon, shall we?

Saturday, April 12, 2008

I am really trying to understand why, everywhere I go, there are people walking around in their pajamas and slippers, usually fuzzy. In public. When I go to the grocery store, I inevitably see at least 3 people in their pajamas and/or slippers (sometimes they wear flip flops with their pj bottoms). I went to the pharmacy today... the guy in front of me had pj bottoms. I went to my mechanic on Thursday... some dude walked in wearing his slippers. The last two times I took my kids to the park, there was a dad (two different parks, two different dads) pushing his kid in the swing. They each were dressed casually in a tshirt and shorts... and slippers. At the park. What the hell is wrong with people? I've accidentally walked out the door only to realize I still had my slippers on. But this is no accident. No way.

Did Britney or some other drunk/drugged/effed up celebrity popularize this slob trend? Maybe I just missed the latest trend from the runway. It wouldn't be the first time. I never saw the appeal of having one's thong hanging out of the back of one's jeans, and I can't figure out why some yahoo decided bubble skirts were a fashion worth reviving. But this one, this sloppy, lazy trend of people wearing their schlub clothes out in public... I truly don't get this one. And unlike the thongs and the bubble skirts, this trend knows no gender, no age. I see 18 year old girls and 60 year old men and everyone in between who look like they rolled out of bed and drove straight to the store.

Do these people have no pride? Have they completely given up on presenting themselves to the world as someone who gives even the tiniest crap about their appearance? Is this how these people say "I don't give a fuck about anybody or what they think of me?" Or is this some lame way to assert independence, like "I do what I want and nobody can stop me. Not even common sense and common decency"? Hell, the only time I leave the house wearing my slippers, or even my Crocs, is to walk to the mail box.

The scarier explanation is the simple dumbing down of the species. As the movie "Idiocracy" demonstrates, our world is on a fast downhill slide intellectually. Pretty soon we will be like cavemen again, only this time we have colorful clothes, fake hooters, and expensive high tech crap. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you watch it. It will help you prepare for our seemingly inevitable future. Plus it's pretty damn funny, at least when you aren't watching and thinking "Holy shit, this is starting to happen!" But who knows how many people will actually be thrilled to have the masturbation network and for the #1 tv show to be "Ow, my balls!" Pretty soon us smart people are going to be the minority and we'll be at the mercy of the fucktards.

Now how scary is that???

Posted by Michelle at 13:44  
0 comments

Post a Comment